- Residence Permit - First Application for Exchange Students
Residence Permit - First Application for Exchange Students
Warning! If you are abroad, you cannot apply for the residence permit! An application can only be made after entering Turkey and registering at the university. It is not possible to make it outside the country.
Be aware that this information is the summary of previously gained experience. Every student has to read the Immigration Office official web page and follow the updates about Law on Foreigners and International Protection, as regulations might change frequently: http://en.goc.gov.tr
Exchange Students enrolled in an academic program in Turkey for 3 months or longer are obliged to acquire a short-term residence permit as per the Law on Foreigners and International Protection. The Short-term Residence Permit gives you the right to stay in Turkey during your study period. All exchange students, regardless of their status, are required to apply for the Short-term Residence permit within a month upon their arrival in Turkey. To do this, you need to make an online residence permit application and submit your files. However, do not worry; we will guide you through the process and submit your hard copy application file on your behalf to Immigration Office Istanbul. It is your responsibility to prepare all the documents listed below and submit them to the Migration Office on time! As IRO, we are only responsible for checking that your documents are complete and in the correct order and giving you a correct guideline.
You must complete the following documents right after the registration and submit your hard copy application file to the Immigration Office on your appointment date. If you do not provide all the documents on time, then Immigration Office might reject your application and deport you from the country.
- Turkish citizens / blue cardholders do not need to get a residence permit.
- Students cannot leave Turkey before obtaining the residence permit document.
- Students are responsible for prolonging their residence permit according their study period, if needed.
- Residence applications made from abroad are invalid. Students wishing to apply for the residence permit or to extend the duration of the residence permit must be in Turkey.
- Students’ passports must be valid at least 60 days beyond the requested ending date of residence permit (i.e. if a student wants to have a residence permit which expires on June 30th, his/ her passport must be valid until August 29th). Make sure your passport is valid for 6 months minimum.
- After collecting all the necessary documents, bring them to the IRO within 5 days. After we review your paperwork, we will give you back your file. Then you have to submit your folder to the appointment place ( Immigration Office) you have chosen on your online application. As IRO, we are physically on campus on evey Monday-Tuesday between 08:45-16:55 to support you during the application process. For this reason, we kindly ask you to bring your documents to us on Mondays and Tuesdays. To meet with us on other days, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR A SHORT-TERM RESIDENCE PERMIT?