Cost & Grants

Financial aid
While you are not required to pay tuition fees at your host institution as an exchange student, you will be responsible for all other expenses. To cover a part of these, depending on the kind of exchange program, you might receive an Erasmus+ grant (for EU-countries) or an IRO travel support(for outside EU-countries). Please note that if you do not meet the conditions under which these scholarships are granted, you will have to return the money.

The Erasmus+ program is an EU-funded education program, designed to encourage students to expand their university education by spending a period of study in another EU member state. The Erasmus+ program applies to all member countries of the EU excluding Switzerland. To achieve this, funds are provided ONLY for formally organized student exchange programs involving specific universities with which SU has signed a Bilateral Agreement. Students participating in Erasmus exchange programs may receive an Erasmus+ grant.

• To see monthly Erasmus grant for each country please click here.

Further Information:
Erasmus+: http://ec.europa.eu/education/opportunities/index_en.htm

IRO travel support

SU also has exchange agreements with universities in countries outside the European Union (e.g. various universities in USA, Hong Kong , Singapore ..). Students who are going to one of these host institutions may receive IRO travel support. In order to extend the geography of student exchange IRO supports students who are going to Global Exchange partners by paying their flight tickets up to a certain amount. Every year we support the top ranked 13-14 students with a travel support. Students placed to priority countries will be on priority. The details are announced in the related call for application.

Please note that you do not have to apply for these grants separately from your application procedure.

Costs of travel and living

Obviously, the costs of your semester abroad will depend on the country you go to and length of your stay. Available grants will only cover a (small) part of your expenses so you should expect to spend additional personal savings and/or to receive parental support.