- Double Majors Details
Double Majors Details
A.) Double Major Programs
Double major programs which will be implemented starting with the students registered to SU as of 2019-2020 Academic year:
Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Industrial Engineering (*)
- Molecular Biology, Genetics and Bioengineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Materials Science and Nano Engineering
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Visual Arts and Visual Communications Design (*)
- Cultural Studies
- Psychology (*)
- Political Science
- International Studies
Sabancı Business School
(*) These programs opened for double major starting with the students registered to SU as of 2019-2020 Academic year; they do not accept applications for double major from students registered to SU in the previous academic years.
B.) Application Requirements
Students who would like to register to one of the double major programs meeting the requirements below, are required to apply to the Faculty Dean’s Office, which offers the double major program, with a petition with wet signature and their transcript within the stated dates on Academic Calendar. It is important to consult to the double major program advisors and the academic advisors and get their support to finalize the decision for double major. To view double major quota for each semester, please click
- Applications submitted within the application dates stated in the Fall term on Academic Calendar are evaluated for the following Spring term; whereas applications submitted within the application dates stated in the Spring and Summer term on Academic Calendar are evaluated for the Fall term of the following Academic year. Below requirements should be met for the term which the application will be evaluated for.
- Applications can be submitted earliest for the third and the latest for the fifth term.
- According to the admit term, it is required to be placed to a program which is open for double major (applications can be done while being placed to a degree program).
- It is required to be successful in all courses taken till the evaluation term (including summer terms).
- Cumulative GPA is required to be minimum 3,20 (**) in the beginning of the term in which the double major evaluation will be done (including summer terms).
- It is required to be in the top 20% in the major program class rankings by considering the class and cumulative GPA as of the beginning of the evaluation term; or, for the students who would like to apply to double major while who is not in the top 20% in the major program class rankings but who have minimum 3,20 (**) major program GPA, are required to have a placement score which is above SU minimum placement score for the related year in the program group of which the double major program is a part.
(**) Cumulative GPA requirement to apply for double major programs will continue to be implemented as 2,72 for students who are registered to SU before 2019-2020 Academic year.
C.) Requirements to Keep Double Major Studies
- Registration of the student, who do not take courses for two consecutive terms in the double major program, is cancelled.
- During the double major program period, program GPA in major and/or double major program can decrease to minimum 2,50 for once. Double major program registration of students is cancelled, if their program GPA in major and/or double major program decreases to 2,50 or below for the second time.
D.) Program Requirements and Maximum Semester Course Load for Double Major
- Students registered to double major diploma program; are subject to the double major diploma program requirements which is valid starting from the registered semester. Please click to follow the double major diploma program requirements.
- Students should take all the courses required for the Double Major and fulfill the SU and ECTS credits requirements.
- Common courses in Major and Double Major Program are counted in both program requirements. It is important to have mutual project and internship courses, while exceptional cases that stem from the major and double major program curriculum are evaluated.
- Students registered to double major diploma program can register to courses within the scope of Undergraduate Education Principles course load.
- Courses taken for the major and double major program will be shown in the same transcript and all courses are counted to Grade Point Average.
Beside to major diploma program advisor, a double major program advisor is assigned to students registered to Double Major Program. Advisor information can be seen on MySu. In addition to this, in double major diploma program requirements page, program’s advisor can be seen. In advisory system, double major diploma program advisors can see the students who they are doing advising.
Registration to double major diploma program is a highly important decision. In this process, getting the Double Major Diploma Program’s Advisors and Academic Advisors’ view and support is highly important starting from application until graduation especially in choosing a course, internship, choosing a Project and having a projection.
F.) Graduation Requirements
Students, registered to a double major program and keep double major program registration by meeting requirements to continue their double major program, are given double major diploma besides major program diploma if they fulfill below conditions:
- Fulfilling the requirements for the major program,
- Fulfilling the requirements for the double major program,
- In addition to the major program requirements, obtaining minimum 30 SU credits (60 ECTS credits) to be considered in double major program requirements,
- Having Cumulative GPA and Program GPA (for major/double major) as minimum 3,20 (***)
(***) GPA requirement to graduate from double major programs will be kept implemented as 2,72 for students who are registered to SU before 2019-2020 Academic year.
G.) Period of Study and Scholarships
It is possible to graduate from major and double major programs at the end of the the normal education period (4 years) for students registered to a double major diploma program; by taking courses according to course load stated in Instruction Letter for Undergraduate Programs.
Maximum period of study for the students, who fulfill graduation requirements for major degree program but could not meet graduation requirements for double major degree program, is considered as the maximum period of study (7 years-14 semesters) as of the registered term to the double major degree program as indicated in Article 7 of Instruction Letter of Sabancı University for Undergraduate Programs. Students graduated from major program and would like to keep their studies in the double major program are required to apply to the Faculty Dean’s Office, which offers the double major program, with a petition with wet signature.
Scholarship period of students, who are placed with scholarship within the scope of OSYM or Undergraduate Admissions for International Students and who are also registered to a double major program, can be extended maximum 2 semesters with the Faculty Administrative Board approval (the Faculty which offers the double major program) if they are graduated from their major degree program within the normal period of study as of the registration date to SU (it is 5 years for the students who start their education with Foundation Development Year; while it is 4 years for the students who start from Freshman year) and would like to continue their registered double major degree program to fulfill graduation requirements.
H.) Registering to Minor and Double Major Programs
Students meeting the requirements are able to register to a minor and a double major program at the same time.