E-mail : melitassabanciuniv.edu
Personal web page
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) Lausanne, Switzerland
Doctor of Philosophy, Program of Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 2012
Thesis Advisor: Prof. John McKinneyCoadvisors: Prof. Philippe Renaud, Prof. Sebastian MaerklThesis: Single-Cell Analysis of Mycobacterial Persistence Using Microfabricated Tools
Sabanci University (SU) Istanbul, Turkey
Master of Science, Faculty of Engineering and Natural Science, 2007
Thesis Advisor: Prof. Asif SabanoviçThesis: Function Based Control for Motion Control Systems
GPA: 3.95 / 4.00
Yildiz Technical University Istanbul, Turkey
Bachelor of Science, Electrical & Electronics Faculty, 2005. GPA: 3.74 / 4.00, ranked 2nd in EE, and ranked 3rd in EE Faculty/ Double Major, Mathematical Engineering, 2001-4th year is incomplete.
Areas of Interest :
Biomechatronics, biosensors, microfluidics, antibiotics, microscopy, laparoscopic tools, personalized medicine, cancer-immune cell interactions
IEEE Membership, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Membership, IEEE Women in Engineering, Swiss Society of Biomedical Engineering (SSBE), American Association for Science and Technology (AASCIT), Turkish Society of Yale Graduate Students and Scholars (TYGS), European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Disease (ESCMID).
|Şengül, Esra and Elitaş, Meltem (2020) "Single-cell mechanophenotyping in microfluidics to evaluate behavior of U87 glioma cells", Micromachines, Vol.11, No.9 (SCI)|
|Karamahmutoğlu, Hande and Altay, Alara and Vural, Sümeyra and Elitaş, Meltem (2020) "Quantitative investigation into the influence of intravenous fluids on human immune and cancer cell lines", Scientific Reports, Vol.10 (SCI, SSCI)|
|Elitaş, Meltem and Şengül, Esra (2020) "Quantifying heterogeneity according to deformation of the U937 monocytes and U937-differentiated macrophages using 3D carbon dielectrophoresis in microfluidics", Micromachines, Vol.11, No.6 (SCI)|
|Tansuğ, Tuğrul and Taşkın, Elif and Kurt, Eray and Elitaş, Meltem (2019) "Design and development of a multi-functional laparoscopic device", Journal of Mechanics Engineering and Automation, 173-176 (NA)|
|Kaygusuz, Doğukan and Vural, Sümeyra and Aytekin, Ali Özhan and Lucas, Stuart J. and Elitaş, Meltem (2019) "DaimonDNA: a portable, low-cost loop-mediated isothermal amplification platform for naked-eye detection of genetically modified organisms in resource-limited settings
". Published Online First http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2019.111409|
|Elitaş, Meltem and Yıldızhan, Yağmur and Islam, Monsur and Martinez-Duarte, Rodrigo and Özkazanç, Didem (2019) "Dielectrophoretic characterization and separation of monocytes and macrophages using 3D carbon-electrodes", Electrophoresis, Vol.40, No.2, 315-321 (SCI)|
|Khan, Zaeema and Karamahmutoğlu, Hande and Elitaş, Meltem and Yüce, Meral and Budak, Hikmet (2019) "Through the looking glass: real-time imaging in brachypodium roots and osmotic stress analysis", Plants, Vol.8, No.1 (SCI)|
|Elitaş, Meltem (2018) "On-chip isoniazid exposure of mycobacterium smegmatis penicillin-binding protein (PBP) mutant using time-lapse fluorescent microscopy", Micromachines, Vol.9, No.11 (SCI)|
|Yıldızhan, Yağmur and Göğebakan, Umut Barış and Altay, Alara and Islam, Monsur and Martinez-Duarte, Rodrigo and Elitaş, Meltem (2018) "Quantitative investigation for the dielectrophoretic effect of fluorescent dyes at single-cell resolution", ACS Omega, Vol.3, No.7, 7243-7246 (SCI)|
|Ahmad, Fiaz and Rasool, Akhtar and Özsoy, Emre and Rajasekar, S. and Şabanoviç, Asif and Elitaş, Meltem (2018) "Distribution system state estimation-a step towards smart grid", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol.81, No.Part 2, 2659-2671 (SCI)|
|Yıldızhan, Yağmur and Erdem, Nurdan and Monsur, Islam and Martinez-Duarte, Rodrigo and Elitaş, Meltem (2017) "Dielectrophoretic separation of live and dead monocytes using 3D carbon-electrodes", Sensors, Vol.17, No.11 (SCI)|
|Elitaş, Meltem (2017) "Isoniazid killing of mycobacterium smegmatis NADH pyrophosphatase mutant at single-cell level using microfluidics and time-lapse microscopy", Scientific Reports, Vol.7 (SCI)|
|Elitaş, Meltem (2017) "Glioma-makrofaj etkileşiminin tümör kütlesi oluşumuna etkisi". Published Online First http://acibadem.dergisi.org/uploads/pdf/pdf_AUD_471.pdf|
|Ahmad, Fiaz and Rashid, Muhammad and Rasool, Akhtar and Özsoy, Emre and Şabanoviç, Asif and Elitaş, Meltem (2017) "Performance comparison of static and dynamic state estimators for electric distribution systems", International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems, Vol.18, No.3 (ESCI)|
|Elitaş, Meltem and Sadeghi, Sahl and Karamahmutoğlu, Hande and Gözüaçık, Devrim and Turhal, Nazım Serdar (2017) "Microfabricated platforms to quantitatively investigate cellular behavior under the influence of chemical gradients", Biomedical Physics and Engineering Express, Vol.3, No.3 (SCI)|
|Ahmad, Fiaz and Rashid, Muhammad and Rasool, Akhtar and Özsoy , Emre and Şabanoviç, Asif and Elitaş, Meltem (2017) "An improved unscented Kalman filter based dynamic state estimation algorithm for electric distribution systems", COMPEL: The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol.36, No.4, 1220-1236 (SCI)|
|Erdem, Nurdan and Yıldızhan, Yağmur and Elitaş, Meltem (2017) "A numerical approach for dielectrophoretic characterization and separation of human hematopoietic cells", International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT), Vol.6, No.4, 1079-1082 (NA)|
|Elitaş, Meltem and Yüce, Meral and Budak, Hikmet (2017) "Microfabricated tools for quantitative plant biology", Analyst, Vol.142, No.6, 835-848 (SCI)|
|Ahmad, Fiaz and Rasool, Akhtar and Özsoy, Eşref Emre and Şabanoviç, Asif and Elitaş, Meltem (2017) "Successive-over-relaxation based recursive Bayesian approach for power system
configuration identification", COMPEL: The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol.36, No.4 (SCI)|
|Elitaş, Meltem and Zeinali, Soheila (2016) "Modeling and simulation of EGF-CSF-1 pathway to investigate Glioma - Macrophage interaction in brain tumors", International Journal of Cancer Studies & Research (IJCR): Special Issue On "Advances in Brain Cancer Research", Vol.5, 1-8 (NA)|
|Papers in Conference Proceedings|
|Şengül, Esra and Kara, Osman and Yıldızhan, Yağmur and Martinez-Duarte, Rodrigo and Elitaş, Meltem, "Single cell level dielectrophoretic responses & dielectrophoretic deformations of monocytes to quantify population heterogeneity", 42nd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society (EMBC), IEEE , August 2020|
|Şahin, Osman and Elitaş, Meltem and Yapıcı, Murat Kaya, "Simulation of dielectrophoresis based separation of red blood cells (RBC) from bacteria cells", 21st International Conference on Thermal, Mechanical and Multi-Physics Simulation and Experiments in Microelectronics and Microsystems (EuroSimE), IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), July 2020|
|Karamahmutoğlu, Hande and Çetin, Metin and Yağcı, Tamer and Elitaş, Meltem, "Behavior of HepG2 liver cancer cells using microfluidic-microscopy: a preliminary study", Gray, B. L. and Becker, H. (eds.), Microfluidics, BioMEMS, and Medical Microsystems XVI, SPIE (Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers), February 2018|
|Evliyaoğlu, Kemal Oltun and Elitaş, Meltem, "Design and development of a self-adaptive, reconfigurable and low-cost robotic arm", Zhang, Dan and Wei, Bin (eds.), 2nd International Conference on Mechatronics and Robotics Engineering (ICMRE), Switzerland: Springer International Publishing, June 2017, 395-405|
|Ahmad, Fiaz and Rasool, Akhtar and Özsoy, Emre and Şabanoviç, Asif and Elitaş, Meltem, "Design of a robust cascaded controller for Cuk converter", 17th IEEE International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (PEMC), IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), September 2016, 80-85|
|Elitaş, Meltem and Sadeghi , Sahl and Birinci, Yelda, "Development of microfabricated tools to investigate immune cell-tumor cell interactions", Conference Series LLC Joint International Event on 5th European Immunology & Innate Immunity, OMICS International, July 2016, 44-44|
|Elitaş, Meltem and Fan, Rong, "Heterogeneity in glioma: macrophage interaction and its quantification in terms of protein expression", Pelkmans, L. and Altschuler, S. (eds.), Cellular Heterogeneity: Role of Variability and Noise in Biological Decision-Making, Germany: EMBL Heidelberg, April 2015|
|Working Paper / Technical Report|
|Sadeghi, Sahl and Elitaş, Meltem, "A simple, bubble-free cell loading technique for culturing mammalian cells on lab-on-a-chip devices", February 2017|
Before SU Publications:
1. Elitas M., Dhar N., Denevaud N., Maerkl S.J., McKinney J.D. High-content screen of a M. smegmatis knockout library provides insights into bacterial persistence and individuality. Manuscript in preparation (Nature Biotechnology).
2. Elitas M., Martinez-Duarte R., Dhar N., McKinney J.D., Renaud P. (2014) Dielectrophoresis-based purification of antibiotic-treated bacterial subpopulations. Lab Chip, 14, 1850-1857.
3. Elitas M., Fan R., A Microchip Platform for Interrogating Tumor-Immune Cell Communication at the Single-Cell Level. Lab Chip,14.3582
4. Elitas M., Fan R., Single-cell technologies for Systems Oncology, Manuscript in preparation.
5. Wei, W., Shin Y., Ma C., Wang J, Elitas M., Fan R., Heat J.R. (2013) Microchip platforms for multiplex single-cell functional proteomics with applications to immunology and cancer research. Genome Medicine, 5: 75.
6. Ma C., Fan R., and Elitas M. (2013) Single cell functional proteomics for assessing immune response in cancer therapy: technology, methods and applications. Frontiers in Tumor Immunity.
7. Elitas M., Khan S., Nergiz A.O., Sabanovic A. (2011) Task-based bilateral control for microsystems application. AUTOMATIKA, 52-2, 107-117.
8. Sabanovic A., Elitas M., Ohnishi K. (2008) Sliding modes in constrained systems control. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 55-9: 3332-3339.
1. Elitas M., Khan S., Nergiz A.O., Sabanovic A. (2008) Function based control for bilateral systems in tele-micromanipulation. AMC, The 10th International Workshop on Advanced Motion Control.
2. Khan S., Nergiz A.O., Elitas M., Patoglu V., Sabanovic A. (2007) A hybrid force-position controller based man-machine interface for manipulation of micro objects. IEEE MHS, IEEE International Symposium on MicroNanoMechatronics and Human Science.
3. Sabanovic A., Elitas M. (2007) SMC based bilateral control. IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics.
4. Elitas M., Sabanovic A. (2007) Controlling interactions in motion control system. 5th IFAC Intl. WS DECOM-TT.
5. Khan S., Elitas M., Kunt E.D., Şabanovic A. (2006) Discrete sliding mode control of piezo actuator in nano-scale range. IIEEE/ICIT, International Conference on Industrial Technology.
6. Sabanovic A., Khan S., Elitas M., Jezernik K. (2006) Sliding mode adaptive controller for PZT actuators. 32nd Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society.
7. Sabanovic A., Abidi K.S., Elitas M. (2006) A study on high accuracy discrete-time sliding mode control. EPE- PEMC, 12th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference.
8. Elitas M., Hocaoglu M.A., Şabanoviç A. (2007) Bilateral control for biomedical field. IEEE (Co-Sponsor) TOK (Turkish Automatic Control).
9. Elitas M., Deniz E., Şabanoviç A. (2006) Design of haptic devices for micro parts handling. IEEE (Co-Sponsor) TOK, (Turkish Automatic Control).
10. Elitas M., Deniz E., Acer M., Şabanoviç A. (2006) Functional control for bilateral systems. IEEE (Co-Sponsor) TOK, (Turkish Automatic Control).