Over the past century, and accelerated so during recent decades, visuality has become pervasive in all aspects of life due to the proliferation of media based communication devices which can be observed to have a strong basis in visuality. Thus the mission of the VAVCD program is to provide the student with an in-depth understanding of visuality and its applications to the domains of Visual Art and Visual Communication Design. Our efforts go beyond a sole understanding / application of the visual fields themselves in that we also seek to bring about their integration with other creative output such as sound design, new media output and temporally based works implemented through the diversified building blocks of our curriculum.
Visual Arts and Visual Communication Design MA Program Objectives
The VACD M.A. program offers a rigorous study within a wide spectrum comprising visual arts, visual communication design and related theory. Our efforts go beyond a sole understanding / application of the visual fields themselves in that we also seek to bring about their integration with other creative output such as sound design, new media output and temporally based works implemented through the diversified building blocks of our curriculum.
Current Courses and Course Catalog
- Elif Ayiter was an editor-in-chief of the Metaverse Creativity journal with Intellect publishers in the UK from 2009 to 2016.
- Elif Ayiter takes the First Place in "Pursue Impossible UWA 3D Art Challenge" with her virtual architecture "The Bridge" in 2015.
- Onur Yazıcıgil has co-founded ISType which is an international conference to create opportunities for established and emerging designers to share and develop their knowledge of typography.
- Murat Germen has two monographs, one published by Skira (Italy) and the other by MASA (Turkey).
- More than 300 editions of Murat Germen’s several artworks are in personal collections of eminent art collectors inter/nationally, in addition to several that are in Istanbul Modern, Proje4L Elgiz Museum of Contemporary Art (Istanbul), Centre of Contemporary Art in Toruń (Poland), Benetton Foundation’s Imago Mundi – Istanbul Codex, Yapi Kredi Bank Culture and Arts Center (Istanbul), Odunpazari Modern Museum (Eskisehir, Turkey), Evliyagil Museum (Turkey) collections.
- Selçuk Artut’s artworks have been exhibited at Dystopie Sound Art Festival (Berlin, 2018), Moving Image NY (New York, 2015), Art13 London (London, 2013), ICA London (London, 2012), Art Hong Kong (Hong Kong, 2011), Istanbul Biennale (Istanbul, 2007), and received coverage at Artsy, Creative Applications, CoDesign, Visual Complexity, CNN GO.
- Selim Birsel has published a book "Ziyaret (The visit) from Norgunk Yayıncılık, in June 2018
- Selim Birsel's artworks have been collected by Moscow Contemporary Art Museum, Seoul Art Museum, Santral Istanbul, Vehbi Koç Foundation Contemporary Art Collection, Nejat F. Eczacıbaşı Foundation and in several private collections.
- Wieslaw Zaremba has been exhibiting, “In the Studio II, Human, Nature and Urban Relationship”, CoDA Gallery, Taylor’s University, Kuala Lumpur, October 2013
- Wieslaw Zaremba has been exhibiting, “Drawing Theatre in Wroclaw Academy of Fine Arts”, Wroclaw, January 2014
- Alex Wong has participated the 8th Dali International Photography Exhibition, 17 - 21 August 2019
- Alex Wong’s Vanishing White, Received HIPA 3rd Place Award in 2019.
Hayal Pozantı (VAVCD B.A. '04) displayed her solo exhibition “Murmurs of Earth” at Jessica Silverman gallery between November 8 – December 21, 2018.
Rezzan Hasoğlu (VAVCD M.A. '15) has been chosen as one of the 6 finalists of the Lexus Design Award with her project Arenophile.
Hande Çayır (VAVCD B.A. '05) received a Chevening Scholarship at the University of Sussex.
Didem Erk (VAVCD '12) participated TarraWarra International 2017 curated by Victoria Lynn, All that is solid ... is the third iteration of the TarraWarra International, a regular series in the Museum’s program designed to showcase leading contemporary practice in a global context.
Meriç Algün Ringborg's (VACD BA, '07) participated Venice Biennale 2015.
- Official Transcript
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- English Proficiency Exam
- (TOEFL IBT, PTE Academic, CAE, CPE, YDS, e-YDS or YÖKDİL)
Scholarship evaluations for the candidates are made during the acceptance of their SU program. Graduate scholarship recipients are proposed by the Admission Jury based on students' academic history, then evaluated by the related Graduate School Administrative Board. Please click here for detailed information.
For further information about Graduate Program, please contact Visual Arts and Visual Communication Design Program Coordinator Selçuk Artut email@example.com.