The M.A. Program in Turkish Studies aims to train the next generation of scholars, policymakers, and practitioners and equip its graduate students with necessary skills to analyze, understand, evaluate, and make policies in key areas including foreign and environmental policies as well as, energy, urbanization, health, and welfare.
The renewed graduate curriculum couples solid theoretical knowledge about Turkish politics with rigorous training on state-of-art methodologies that have become increasingly important in today's world and in the making and application of public policies. With a highly flexible curriculum, which capitalizes on the intellectual and scholarly resources available at one of Turkey's leading private universities, the Turkish Studies MA program offers its students a broad range of courses in Political Science, Economics, Conflict Resolution, European Studies, History and Cultural Studies.
Turkish Studies MA Program Objectives
The Turkish Studies MA program at Sabancı University is the first such indisciplinary program in Turkey with English language instruction. The core components of the program include a rigorous social science research methods training; several tracks of specialization; a policy internship program and research assistantship opportunities in renowned centers of Sabancı University, including Sakıp Sabancı Center for Turkish Studies at Columbia University.
Program Specific Outcomes of MA in Turkish Studies
- Gain the skills to analyze, understand, evaluate, and make policies in key public areas.
- Develop a policy area of specialization.
- Gain work experince in one of the centers or forums affiliated with Sabancı University.
Current Courses and Course Catalog
- Fuat Keyman is a member of Science Academy and has been awarded the Strategic Vision Owner of the Scientific People Award within the scope of the 7th Tasam Strategic Vision Awards.
- Meltem Müftüler Baç participates in two EU funded H2020 projects, MAGYC on migration governance for 2018-2022 and InDivEU on differentiated integration for 2019-2022.
- Mert Moral was awarded the Young Scholar award by the Science Academy, Turkey in 2018
- Senem Aydın-Düzgit has been awarded a Jean Monnet Chair in EU Political and Administrative Studies in 2013 and the Young Scientist award by the Science Academy (BAGEP) in 2014 and she participates in an EU funded H2020 projects on differentiated integration, EU IDEA for 2019-2022.
- Ayşe Betül Çelik is a member of the International Studies Association, and the leading member of the Turkish Network of Women Mediators.
- Ayşe Özil was awarded UK Education Alumni Awards by British Council in 2016.
- Özge Kemahlıoğlu was awarded the Young Scholar award by the Science Academy, Turkey in 2015.
- Ateş Altınordu was awarded Internal Grant for Research by Sabancı University, Turkey in 2015 (with Çağla Aydın and A. Faik Kurtulmuş).
- Official Transcript
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Sample Work
- ALES, GRE or GAT scores
- English Proficiency Exam (TOEFL IBT, PTE Academic, CAE, CPE, YDS, e-YDS or YÖKDİL)
Graduate Scholarship Opportunities
Scholarship evaluations for the candidates are made as part of their acceptance into their SU program. Graduate scholarship recipients are proposed by the Admission Jury based on the students’ academic history and performance in the examination; and they are then evaluated by the related Graduate School Administrative Board. Please click here for detailed information.
- Columbia University Sakıp Sabancı Center for Turkish Studies
- Istanbul Policy Center
- SHURA Energy Transition Center
- Sabancı University Gender and Women’s Studies Center of Excellence
- TUSIAD-Sabancı University Competitiveness Forum
- Education Reform Initiative.
For further information about Graduate Program, please contact Turkish Studies Program Coordinator Oya Yeğen email@example.com.