Knowing your interests (what you enjoy), skills (what you do well), and values (what motivates you) is the first step in your major exploration journey. Below are some ideas on how to begin to assess your interests, skills, and values, as they relate to choosing a major.
We recommend that you complete the exercises that follow:
- Create a list of your non-academic and academic interests (activities that you like, classes which you enjoyed the most) and skills (activities that you do well, classes in which you perform best).
- Create a list with your strengths.
- Create a list that contains areas in which you need improvement/development.
- Consider your personal study and work styles.
- Create a list with your academic and professional values (what motivates you).
- Keeping all of the above in mind, envision your best and worst job scenarios.
- Ask yourself: Am I thinking only of career expectations, or am I looking at majors I can be passionate about?
Do not forget that it is important to know which jobs, fields, and careers fit your personality and your skills. You can do your own research online or contact the Sabancı University Career Development & Internship Office for further information on jobs and career options. You can also check the Useful Resources list, especially the section Exploring Career and Occupational Interests on the Career Office website.