The Cultural Studies Program brings together an interdisciplinary group of scholars with a commitment to fostering new ways of analyzing and participating in contemporary cultural dynamics in Turkey and around the world.
The program covers a wide range of topics and theoretical approaches, with particular emphasis on: literary and cultural theory; gender and sexuality, transnational mobility and migration; ethnic identities and citizenship; politics of representation; memory studies and oral history.
Career prospects for graduates include:
- The cultural sector: Museums, cultural centers, publishing houses, tourism, media and internet industries
- The private sector: Advertising, public relations, marketing
- The public sector: Government-funded projects, local and municipal initiatives, E.U. and other transnational agencies
- Non-Governmental organizations (NGOs): Community work and action research particularly in the areas of cultural policy, social inclusion, public education, human rights, gender and sexual rights, refugees and asylum seekers
- Academic track: Graduates interested in research or academic career will be competitive candidates for MA and PhD programs in the social sciences and humanities, specially in the fields of Sociology, Anthropology, Comparative Literature, Cultural Studies, Gender Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, and Geography.
Cultural Studies MA Program Objectives
The Master’s program in Cultural Studies is designed to enhance dialogue and collaborative research among humanities and social sciences, bringing together scholars in anthropology, literary criticism and sociology. It fosters an open intellectual atmosphere where students and academic staff engage with ongoing debates on critical issues of cultural politics in Turkey and around the world in the era of neo-liberal globalism.
Current Courses and Course Catalog
Berfu Serçe (2020): I have started Cultural Studies MA program with different questions in mind. Due to the interdisciplinary approach the program offers, I come to realize that the answers to my questions are not singular but should be approached with a multilayered perspective. I started this journey with a background in Political Science and broadened my perspective through learning different approaches offered by literary, anthropological and sociological perspectives. The most important thing that Cultural Studies MA has shown me was how focusing on questions rather than simply looking for answers was crucial in acquiring a critical perspective. Cultural Studies MA Program reminds me the importance of questions I have and the transformative journey I did when pursuing these curiosities.
- Official Transcript
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Sample Work
- ALES, GRE or GAT scores
- English Proficiency Exam (TOEFL IBT, PTE Academic, CAE, CPE, YDS, e-YDS or YÖKDİL)
Scholarship evaluations for the candidates are made during the acceptance of their SU program. Graduate scholarship recipients are proposed by the Admission Jury based on students' academic history, then evaluated by the related Graduate School Administrative Board. Please click here for detailed information.
For further information about Graduate Program, please contact please contact Ateş Altınordu firstname.lastname@example.org.